Pull browser window out or in to widen or shorten center column line length.The following is the main content for the page.
On this page:
Thursday, 14 December 2000
Topic: "Plain Language and the Document Revolution"
About the Event
Come enjoy a delicious meal at the West End Grill in Bethesda while networking with other technical communicators. After dinner, learn how to turn information into communication using Plain Language, a set of guidelines you may choose to use to make your information more accessible.
At this program, you will learn:
- The best way to revise existing documents
- Guidelines for visual language and verbal language
- How the typewriter created the Piles of Paragraphs style
- Why you need to use more visual language
- Where the Plain Language movement began and where it is going
What others have had to say about Ms. Baldwin's book:
- "This is on the cutting edge of what is happening in the Plain Language movement." Jane Stewart-Yeager, Chief, Regulations Branch U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Don't forget your business cards for networking and books for the book drive!
We collect a business card from each attendee for a chance to win the registration fee for the Annual conference. The drawing takes place at the March program. The more programs you attend, the more chances to win.
About the Speaker
Carol Baldwin is a writer, trainer, and manager. Since 1965, she has been a professional writer and management consultant. Since 1980, she has been president of her own company, ComPro, Inc., in Washington, DC. She wrote the book and delivers the seminar "Plain Language and the Document Revolution." Her book is a required text at James Madison University's Institute for Scientific and Technical Communication.
6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Registration; cash bar opens
6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Elegant Holiday Dinner
7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Program
The cost includes appetizers, soup or salad, choice of 8 entrées with side items, nonalcoholic beverage, and dessert. Alcoholic beverages may be purchased at the cash bar.
Spinach Parmesan Dip with Tri-Color Tortilla Chips
Chips and Salsa
Choice of Soup or Salad
Choice of Entrée
- Chicken dishes are served with your choice of potato and vegetable or pasta.
The entrée choices follow.
- Penne Portobello: Mushrooms, roasted garlic, sundried tomato, and snowpeas over penne pasta
- Penne Primavera: Fresh medley of vegetables in a light tomato sauce or in a virgin olive oil over penne pasta
- Fusili Monte Carlo: Shrimp, asparagus, and mushrooms in a light creamy marinara over fusili pasta
- Fusili Alexandra: Salmon, asparagus, mushrooms, and peas in a pink bisque sauce over fusili pasta
- Chicken Francaise: Boneless breast sautéed in a white wine, lemon, and butter sauce
- Chicken Chevy Chase: Boneless breast sautéed with onions, mushrooms, and peppers in a balsamic vinaigrette sauce
- Chicken Taverna: Boneless breast sautéed with eggplant, zucchini, tomato and mozzarella in a brown marinara sauce
- Chicken Chablis: Boneless breast sautéed with artichoke hearts, mushrooms, scallions, and sundried tomatoes in a white wine sauce
Water, Iced tea, and coffee
$12.50 for students and $25 for members with advance reservations; $28 for nonmembers and walk-ins.
West End Grill
7904 Woodmont Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814
Map and directions to West End Grill in Bethesda, MD.