Pull browser window out or in to widen or shorten center column line length.The following is the main content for the page.
On this page:
Adobe® FrameMaker® III: Structured
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Registration / Networking / Refreshments
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. KU Class (1st half)
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. KU Class (2nd half)
Don't forget your business cards for networking!
Course Description: Adobe FrameMaker III: Structured
Note: This Knowledge University program can hold up to 18 participants. A waiting list will be started once we reach full capacity. Please contact the Events Committee Manager. EEI requires that we have a minimum of 14 seats filled. EEI also maintains an 8-day cancellation policy.
This class will introduce you to Adobe FrameMaker as an authoring tool for creating XML documents. You will work with structured interface and add and edit elements and attributes. You will work with a complete set of documents needed to deal with structured content such as EDD (Element Definition Documents) and DTD (Document Type Definitions). You will convert unstructured documents, including text, graphics, tables, and cross-references, to fully structured content implementing rules that you will write. The class will provide a solid overview of the latest tools available for cross-media publishing. Topics include
- Working with structured interface view
- Working with Element Catalogs
- Understanding elements and element attributes
- Editing existing structured documents
- Changing, merging, splitting, and wrapping elements
- Working with paragraph, character, graphic, and table elements
- Validating documents
- Understanding EDD and DTA
- Creating and exporting EDD
- Adding and editing element definitions
- Setting up elements with automatic insertion of children
- Writing general rules
- Including formatting information in EDD
- Converting unstructured to structured documents
This is an advanced hands-on workshop. The participants should have a solid background in using Adobe FrameMaker.
About the Instructor
Urszula Witherell is a partner in a graphic design company, Jetsetcom.net. She has over 10 years of experience in publication design, production, and printing, including multiple-language assignments. She combines practical software knowledge with the ability to break down complex procedures into easy steps that students can apply to their own projects. She is a Certified Technical Trainer (CTT) and Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in Adobe InDesign, Acrobat, and FrameMaker.
Light pastries, juice, and coffee will be served in the morning. Lunch, at one of many nearby affordable restaurants, will be on your own.
Because there are a limited number of spaces for this course, we require all attendees to register and pay in advance.
To register for this event, complete the online Event Registration form.
Registration deadline: 8 p.m., Thursday, 13 April 2006. Payment by check or PayPal must be received by this date. Entrance is not guaranteed until we receive your advance payment.
We cannot offer free admission to this event.
Please take note of the following information.
- Entrance is not guaranteed until receipt of advance payment.
- Registration will be closed at occupancy limit (17 seats are available). When capacity is reached, a notification will be provided at the top of this page. We will start a waiting list at that time and you will be notified whether or not there is space available for you in the class.
- We do not provide refunds for late arrivals.
- We reserve the right to bill those who register for a program, do not pre-pay, and do not attend the program.
- You will receive a full refund if you cancel before 13 April 2006.
You may pay by sending a check through the U.S. Mail or by making a secure online payment through our PayPal page using your credit card, debit card, bank account, or by paying money from a funded PayPal account. (Using PayPal allows you to make purchases without revealing your credit card number or financial information to us.)
If you have already registered and would like to submit a payment by check or through our PayPal page, see the Event Registration page for more detailed information about making a payment.
EEI requires 8 days of notice before canceling either of the above KU classes.
Cancellation deadline: 8 p.m., Thursday, 13 April 2006. A full refund will be returned to you if you cancel by the deadline.
To cancel a registration, contact the Events Committee Manager as soon as possible. No shows who do not notify us that they need to cancel will be billed.
8403 Colesville Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Map and directions to EEI Communications in Silver Spring, MD.