Pull browser window out or in to widen or shorten center column line length.The following is the main content for the page.
March 2005 event
9300 Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031
Don't forget your business cards for networking!
What is Career Day?
This annual event features a progression of round table discussions about careers in technical communication. This Year's agenda includes topics of interest to those who are new to the field of technical communication and established practitioners alike. Attendees have a choice of attending four of six table topics, all of which are led by experienced practitioners.
Table topics and table hosts (please check back for updates):
- How You Go About Becoming a Published Author
hosted by Mary Wise (Biography)
- It's said that we all have at least one novel in us. This session will describe one way to get that novel out of your brain and on to paper. Then, once you have that novel on paper, how do you go about getting published? You can go the traditional route and market your magnum opus to literary agents and publishers, or you bypass that process and publish it yourself. This session gives you pointers and tips on self-publishing.
- Salary Negotiation
hosted by Annette Reilly (Biography)
- Negotiating your salary can be a win-win for you and your employer. Learn how to judge what you're worth, consider the total value of your compensation, fairly compare salaried and consulting compensation, and decide whether to bargain and when to say yes.
- Your Résumé: What Employers Do and Don't Want to Read
hosted by Ann Hull (Biography)
- Ann will coach the Career Day attendees on how to develop your résumé to ensure that you get hired for the job you are seeking.
- Fine Tuning Your Interviewing Skills
hosted by Tom Dezell (Biography)
- Tom will coach Career Day attendees on the art of fine tuning your interviewing skills so that you make the right impression on your next potential employer.
- Training and Support: Perfect Together? Perfect for You?
hosted by Joe Barone (Biography)
- The discussion will take a look at at one organization's merger of training and support. In particular, we will focus on the positive and negative aspects of moving into the training field using this avenue and what you need to do to succeed.
Date: Saturday, 19 March 2005
Attendees progress to 4 of the 6 roundtable topics.
The event will be catered by the Italian Gourmet.
Fees and Registration
Registration is encouraged for this event. To make a reservation, complete the online reservation form. Entrance is not guaranteed until we receive your advance payment.
Registration and cancellation deadline: 5 p.m., Wednesday, 16 March 2005. Payments by check or PayPal must be received by this date.
Admission fees help to offset the costs of our events. Fees may vary from time to time because of the costs of food and beverages, room rental, and other services. Our attendees pay slightly different fees depending on whether they are members, nonmembers, students, chapter volunteers, or walk-ins. We also sometimes offer a program-only option for programs that are not held in restaurants.
If you are involved in the planning or production of an event, you are entitled to a reduced admission fee at that event. If you would like to help and thereby qualify for this discount, contact the Events Committee Manager. Note that we do not accept last-minute volunteers unless we have an unanticipated need for extra help.[an error occurred while processing this directive]
You may pay by sending a check through the U.S. Mail or by making a secure online payment through our PayPal page using your credit card, debit card, bank account, or by paying money from a funded PayPal account. (Using PayPal allows you to make purchases without revealing your credit card number or financial information to us.)
If you have already registered and would like to submit a payment by check or through our PayPal page, see the reservation page for more detailed information about making a payment.
To cancel a registration, contact the Events Committee Manager as soon as possible. No shows who do not notify us that they need to cancel will be billed.
9300 Lee Highway
Fairfax VA 22031
Map and directions to ICF Consulting, Inc. in Fairfax, VA.